Frontier Airlines Kicks Off Green Week with America's Greenest Flight
Today, low-fare carrier Frontier Airlines kicks off Green Week and operates America’s Greenest Flight, highlighting the airline’s commitment to fuel efficiency and focus on sustainability. The flight will operate from Denver to GREEN-ville, S.C. utilizing one of the most fuel-efficient aircraft in the world, the A320neo, which is a significant contributor to Frontier operating the most fuel-efficient fleet in the U.S. For the next week, Frontier will be encouraging others to live greener with sustainable giveaways and invites everyone with the last name “Green” to fly for free on Tuesday, August 13, 2019. For more details and to enter to win, visit: http://bit.ly/F9GreenWeek
Today’s greenest flight is focused on sustainability on every level. Service items utilized include compostable cold cups, hot cups and napkins made from recycled materials and bamboo stir sticks. Customers will enjoy snacks utilizing eco-friendly packaging and cans, bottles, paper and plastic will be separated and recycled. To further lessen the environmental impact, Frontier is planting enough trees to offset the flight’s carbon footprint. In addition, all passengers onboard America’s Greenest Flight will receive “green inspired” gifts to encourage them think sustainably long after they have reached their destination.
“Our fleet’s fuel efficiency is unmatched by other U.S. airlines and allows Frontier to deliver not only the lowest fares but the most sustainable approach to flying,” said Barry Biffle, President and CEO of Frontier Airlines. “We are proud to serve communities across the U.S. and understand the importance of being good stewards of the environment. We’re focused on lessening Frontier’s impact on the environment and continually search for innovative solutions and technology to achieve that.”
Frontier exclusively operates the A320 family of aircraft and has the largest A320neo fleet in the U.S., delivering the highest level of noise reduction and fuel-efficiency, compared to previous models. The use of these aircraft, Frontier’s seating configuration, weight-saving tactics and baggage process have all contributed to the airline’s average of 39% fuel savings compared to other U.S. airlines (fuel savings is based on Frontier Airlines 2018 fuel consumption per seat-mile compared to the weighted average of major U.S. airlines).
There are many ways to think about Frontier’s fuel savings, for example: it’s the equivalent of the carbon used to produce 359 billion straws, or the fuel used to make 15.2 billion plastic bottles, or the greenhouse gas emissions from 192,000 cars on the road for one year. Added up, that’s an average of 19 barrels of oil saved for every flight completed by Frontier and 102 million gallons of fuel saved in 2018 alone.
Frontier began its green journey in 2013 and has progressively introduced new, innovative technology and solutions to reduce its carbon impact.
- In 2013, Frontier added sharklets to its aircraft, a wingtip that increases the fuel efficiency of Airbus aircraft by 4%, equaling an annual CO2 reduction of 700 tons per aircraft. That same year, Frontier unbundled flight services, putting passengers in charge and reducing the number of carry-on bags on-board each aircraft and weight from snacks and drinks.
- In 2014, Frontier switched to paperless cockpits, utilizing Electronic Flight Bags and removing in-flight magazines, saving weight and thousands of pounds of paper.
- In 2015, Frontier introduced new, modern seats throughout its fleet and removed heavy televisions from its seatbacks, allowing for higher seating capacity and weight savings. In addition, the Frontier mobile application was introduced, conveying real-time information to passengers without having to print out documents.
- In 2016, Frontier marked its biggest advance in fuel-efficiency yet, the introduction of A320neo aircraft to its fleet. These aircraft are equipped with next generation engine technology, delivering significant fuel savings and a 50% reduction in noise footprint as compared to the previous generation.
- In 2017, the Frontier team moved into a state-of-the-art LEED-Certified HQ building, designed and built to meet the highest energy savings, water efficiency and CO2 emissions standards.
- In 2018, 18 new aircraft were added to the Frontier fleet (16 A320neo, 2 A321ceo). By the end of 2018, our fleet was comprised of 39% aircraft with new engine technology designed to deliver optimal fuel efficiency.
- In 2019, Frontier introduced biodegradable cups in-flight and plans to remove plastic drink stirrers and replace them with wooden ones. By the end of the year, over half of Frontier’s fleet will be made up of A320neo aircraft, an accomplishment unmatched by other U.S. airlines.
- In 2020 and beyond, Frontier has more than 170 NEO aircraft on order and continues to search out new technologies and solutions that will enhance its operation and customer experience.
For more information and to follow Frontier’s green progress, please visit FlyGreener.com.
Frontier Airlines (NASDAQ: ULCC) is committed to “Low Fares Done Right.” Headquartered in Denver, Colorado, the company operates more than 100 A320 family aircraft and has the largest A320neo fleet in the U.S. The use of these aircraft, Frontier’s seating configuration, weight-saving tactics and baggage process have all contributed to the airline’s average of 43 percent fuel savings compared to other U.S. airlines (fuel savings is based on Frontier Airlines’ 2019 fuel consumption per seat-mile compared to the weighted average of major U.S. airlines), which makes Frontier the most fuel-efficient U.S. airline. Frontier is also committed to families enabling children 14 years and younger to fly free through the airline’s Discount Den travel club on qualifying flights. With approximately 150 new Airbus planes on order, Frontier will continue to grow to deliver on the mission of providing affordable travel across America.